Built in 1924 by local Perc MacDonald for a massive £800, the theatre was considered to be luxurious for its time. While it originally showed silent films with an accompanying pianist, it moved with the times showing its first ‘talkie’ in 1930. The old projection room, despite not being used since the 1980s, remains untouched since the last screening.
Although changing hands several times over the years, it has continued to be a social hub with country dances, stage productions and film screenings. It is also one of few country theatres to hold a world film premier with the opening of the film Dimboola in 1979.
Today the Star Theatre is undergoing something of a renaissance with the Dimboola Food Festival team working to renovate the building and make it a permanent home for the festival.